The Hymn Society in the United States and Canada and SICM are discounting all who register for both of their conference meetings in Southern Ontario between July 9th and 20th.
View a tentative schedule for the week.
Church music suffers when...
- ministers or musicians lack both fundamental and current knowledge of the exciting past and emerging story of church music
- visioning and communication break down between the vital trinity of church music: minister, musician and congregation
- resources decline: organs and other instruments not maintained, musicians poorly compensated, choristers and congregations unchallenged and unsatisfied
Church music flourishes when...
- congregations and choirs are equipped and encouraged, and share ownership and excitement in a common journey in their musical and faith lives
- all who support this vital piece of the liturgical mosaic can glimpse the vast range of exciting possibilities old and new, while anchored in that known and loved
- great music is made among friends and colleagues who can share hopes, dreams, experience and insight with the leading teachers and thinkers in the field
The Summer Institute of Church Music – SICM – is Canada’s intensive week-long residential summer retreat and study program for the musicians of churches. Grounded in the creative and inspired use of organ and choir in worship, it seeks to celebrate and extend exciting and new horizons in church music, committed always to helping its members and their churches maintain the highest standards possible.
Since 1970, the SICM has welcomed students from all denominations and levels of ability and the foremost figures in Church Music as faculty for a week of study, community, and discernment in church music. It was the first and remains Canada’s only annual summer program in church music.
The SICM is a non-profit, charitable organization registered with Revenue Canada.
Date: Thursday July 13, 2017 Time: 8 pm Location: Saint George’s Memorial Anglican Church, 51 Centre St. South, Oshawa Admission is free: Donations gladly received. SICM Chorale presents a lively evening of sacred song. directed by Dr. Evelyn Grieger, accompanied by...read more
Music Plus Corporation, which has served SICM and many other organisations and individuals in the church music world, will cease all business activities on Saturday, March 18/17 and the store will be closing at that time. From now until closure MP is offering savings...read more
If you aren't on our mailing list here's the latest SummerSong, Advent 2016. Please sign up to have SCIM's Newsletter, SummerSong delivered to your...read more
With great sadness, the SICM announced the passing late Sunday, December 6th, 2015, after a brief illness, of friend, mentor and Director Emeritus, Dr. Kenneth Inkster. Kenneth was not simply the longest-serving Director and chief architect of the Institute. Indeed,...read more