SICM is held in the town of Whitby (30 minutes east of downtown Toronto, Ontario, Canada). Toronto is Canada’s largest and most diverse commercial, cultural, and touristic centre; there are excellent air, rail and bus connections, many attractions and easy access to southern Ontario’s urban and rural beauty. Whitby is a small historic community away from the bustle of the big city offering many accommodation and dining options in addition to those available onsite at SICM’s home base, Trafalgar Castle School. The School, located in downtown Whitby, east of Brock Street (Highway 12) south of Dundas Street (Highway 2) and north of Highway 401, about 30 minutes east of downtown Toronto.
CONSIDER CARPOOLING - There is ample parking at Trafalgar Castle School, but someone from your area or along your travel route may be planning to attend SICM, and could share travel time and cost with you. Contact SICM for help in making the connection.
Travel by Car - maps
From East or West:
- take Highway 401 to Exit 410 (Brock Street/Highway 12)
- exit northbound; the third stoplight, after Consumers Drive and Burns Street, is Gilbert Street - turn right here: past the third stop sign you enter the gounds of Trafalgar Castle School.
From the North:
- In addition to crossing the 401 at exit 410, Whitby’s Brock Street (Highway 12) crosses both of southern Ontario’s principal secondary east-west arteries, Highway 2 (in Whitby, Dundas Street, just a few blocks north of Trafalgar Castle School) and Highway 7, where the westbound trans-Canada highway turns north to Orillia, Parry Sound, Sudbury, northwestern Ontario and Canada’s west.
- From mid-eastern Ontario, follow Highway 7 or other route to Peterborough, and then use Hwy 115 to join the westbound 401, or for a more scenic route, follow 7a south of Lake Scugog until meeting Highway 12 just west of Port Perry.
- From northeastern Ontario, consider Highway 60 through Algonquin Park to Highway 11at Huntsville, picking up Highway 12 South at Orillia; or use Highway 41 south from Pembroke and then Highway 28 to Peterborough.
Travel by Rail or Bus
GO Transit offers an excellent train and bus service from downtown Toronto to Whitby GO Station, on Brock Street just south of Highway 401, a 10 minute walk from Trafalgar Castle School. The VIA Rail stations in Oshawa, Guildwood (in western Scarborough) and Union Station (downtown Toronto) all connect to the GO Transit service to Whitby GO Station. Follow these links for schedules and fares:
Aside from that of GO Transit, bus service to Whitby, as far as we’ve been able to tell, is VERY limited.
Travel by Air
Toronto’s Lester B. Pearson International Airport serves well beyond a hundred countries with facilities ranked among the great airports of the world. A wide array of transit options exist from the Airport to the Institute, mostly through Go Transit and other shuttles to downtown Toronto and on to Whitby and other east-of-Toronto communities.