Trafalgar Castle School
401 Reynolds Street at Gilbert
Whitby, Ontario, Canada L1N 3W9
For directions to TCS, visit our Travel page.
Trafalgar Castle was built in Elizabethan style in 1859 by Nelson Gilbert Reynolds, flamboyant Sheriff of Ontario County, officer in the 11th English Lancers, member of the Legislative Assembly of Upper Canada and president of the Marmora Foundry. It boasts 15 towers, secret passageways and a tunnel to Lake Ontario. Reynolds lived there lavishly until, beset with financial difficulties, he was forced to sell it in 1874 to the Methodist Church in Canada. The Methodists were instrumental in establishing three higher learning institutions for young women in the late 1800s, and opened the Ontario Ladies’ College in 1874. The name was changed to Trafalgar Castle School in 1979.
NOTES TO SICM STUDENTS WISHING TO STAY AT TRAFALGAR CASTLE SCHOOL:
- Accommodation space at Traflagar Castle School is limited, and will be assigned on a first-come/first-served basis. It may not be possible to fulfill all requests for private accommodations: after these spots are assigned, applicants will be asked to share.
- While many people with limited mobility are able to navigate this historic building while attending the Institute, please be aware that it is not fully accessible. For more information on its suitability for your own situation please contact the House Manager.
- Trafalgar Castle School food services are fully equipped to deal with most special dietary needs, but advance notice must be given via the online registration form or by contacting the House Manager.
- Sleeping rooms are not equipped with air-conditioning, and can become quite warm in July - bringing a personal fan is highly recommended.
Trafalgar Castle School Chapel Organ Specifications
All Saints’ Anglican
300 Dundas Street West, Whitby, ON L1N 2M5
All Saints’ was founded as the parish church for the growing town of Whitby in 1866, and remains a vital presence in Whitby’s life. Its superb location and fine organ by Casavant Frères have hosted many Institute sessions concerned particularly with the organ, and in both 2006 and 2009 hosted the Institute’s Community Choral Concert.
All Saints’ Church Organ Specifications
St. George’s Memorial Anglican Church, Oshawa
39 Athol Street West, Oshawa, ON L1H 1J5
Downtown St. George’s Memorial Church in the neighbouring city of Oshawa dates from 1924, although the origins of its congregation may be traced back to the 1840s. St. George’s has hosted the annual organ recital and biennial Osborne organ competition final round since both began in the 1970s. Its three-manual Casavant Frères pipe organ is one of the finest in the area, and its unusual 16-bell carillon is another point of musical interest.
St. George’s Memorial Church Organ Specifications
Hebron Christian Reformed Church, Whitby
4240 Anderson Street, Whitby, ON L1R 2W1
This impressive modern facility for worship and ministry is the third home of this thriving congregation of the Christian Reformed Church, with a beautiful contemporary worship space and a fine pipe organ courtesy of member Henk Berentschot of Durham manufacturing and Port Hope-based organ builder Andrew Mead and Associates. At SICM 2005 it became the annual host of Tuesday afternoon piano and organ sessions, the panel discussion ”Issues in Church Music” and the Institute’s annual “Crucible Service”.
Hebron Christian Reformed Church Organ Specifications
St. John’s Anglican Church, Whitby
150 Victoria Street East, Whitby, ON L1N 9L8
Whitby’s oldest church, this beautiful Kingston limestone church nestled in a quiet church yard just steps away from Canada’s busiest highway and rail corridor has served the Port district of the town of Windsor (later expanded and named Whitby) since 1846. It is blessed with the fine two-manual Casavant Frères, Opus 3714 organ, and superb acoustics.
St. John’s Church Organ Specifications
St. Mark’s United Church, Whitby
201 Centre Street South,
Whitby, ON L17 4V7
St. Mark’s, a large downtown United Church whose Methodist-style sanctuary dates from 1876, holds a long association with SICM through its founder, Dr. Stanley L. Osborne, who was a member while serving as principle of the Ontario Ladies College.
St. Mark’s Church Organ Specifications
Whitby Baptist Church
411 Gilbert Street East at Reynolds, Whitby, ON L1N 1R6
Across Reynolds Street, just steps from Trafalgar Castle School, Whitby Baptist Church’s multi-functional sanctuary has for decades hosted a variety of SICM sessions including choral classes, organ classes and the Annual General Meeting.
Whitby Baptist Church Organ Specifications