My Life Flows on in Endless Song
At Home on the Journey
From Sunday, July 9 to Friday, July 14, 2017
At Trafalgar Castle School, Whitby, Ontario, Canada
“Never make your home in a place…. that way it will go with you wherever you journey.” – American fantasy author Tad Williams
The terms “Church home” and “Church family” are used almost as often – and bizarrely often along with – “Faith journey”. Our churches are often much less homes to us and our congregations than rest stops along way of our busy lives – but the language above suggests they can be much more. And in God’s house, there is usually music playing.
Join Methodist Pastor, Hymn writer and musician Dan Damon as he lends his unique perspective to experiencing and offering ‘home’ in our churches, and to a degree in our music. Dan and his partner and colleague Eileen Johnson will lead sessions on making music that provides some of the furnishings, the decor – and perhaps also the heart we and our congregations seek in a home for the journey. Sessions will explore the practical use of words, instruments, musical vision and relationships to help make God’s house a home for you, for your congregation, and for your community.
“All people need a home where they can feel secure,
Where common needs are known and met,
A home that will endure. A home that will endure.”
“I will not always walk this earth with gentle step and caring heart But now I pray, prepare and give to lasting good and living art.”
(excerpts from Dan Damon’s hymns)
Organ and Choral Gala Concert
Date: Thursday July 13, 2017
Time: 8 pm
Location: Saint George’s Memorial Anglican Church, 51 Centre St. South, Oshawa
Admission is free: Donations gladly received.
SICM Chorale presents a lively evening of sacred song. directed by Dr. Evelyn Grieger, accompanied by Christopher Dawes, and interspersed with organ solo performances by Dr. Patricia Wright.
- Gala Choral and Organ concert led by conductor Evelyn Grieger, with organist Patricia Wright.
- Dr. Patricia Wright will inducted as a Fellow of the Summer Institute of Church Music
- The world premier of a choral anthem composed by Patrick Murray to honour Dr. Wright
- “At Home on the Journey” will explore modern hymn text writing, jazz and pop piano and other challenges we face as church musicians in the 21st century.
- Choral Reading Session open to the public
- More optional concurrent workshops
- Discount available to SICM full time registrants who also register for the Hymn Society convention in Kitchener-Waterloo
2017 Daily Program
- Daily chapel worship and a chaplaincy to church musicians, their challenges and issues
- Daily classes in organ and choral music, including techniques and practical tools
- Nightly choral rehearsal open to full-time students and local choristers wishing to prepare and perform in the final concert