Finding a Way Through the Wilderness
From Sunday, July 8 to Friday, July 13, 2018
At Trafalgar Castle School, Whitby, Ontario, Canada
“See, I am doing a new thing…a way in the wilderness and streams in the wasteland.” Isaiah 43:19
The world can feel like a chaotic place, full of ideas and forces pulling in multiple directions. It is easy to be overwhelmed, navigating through a wilderness of emotion and issue, and sometimes, of nothingness. At SICM 49 in 2018, we will explore ways of travelling with God through the wilderness of daily life. We will sing new hymns, possibly learn to write our own, discuss ways of bringing new ideas to our church music while cherishing those we already know, and find ways of leading our congregations ever further into the music of worship.
To accomplish this, we have invited back to SICM The Rev. Dan Damon and his wife Eileen Johnson. Together they will offer sessions on repertoire, arranging, performing a variety of styles, and working with bands and other groups. Dan will meet with composers to help them with their songs and hymns.
Stephanie Martin will direct the SICM Chorale in preparation for our concert, and provide lively instruction in choral leadership as we learn to be more excellent choir directors and worship leaders.
Ryan Jackson will be our Organ instructor and recitalist, bringing a fresh look at how we prepare our hymns and musical offerings.
Mark Ruhnke will share his research into why congregants don’t sing and how we might find a path through their particular wilderness.
Please join us as we travel together!
- SICM welcomes Anglican Priest and lifelong lover and player of jazz, Archdeacon Jim Sandilands to serve as Chaplain for our week together. Jim looks forward to a rich week of ministry with other church musicians.
- Gala Choral and Organ concert led by conductor Stephanie Martin, organist Ryan Jackson.
- The final round of the biannual Osborne Organ Competition.
- Choral Reading Session open to the public. Optional fee for purchase of music package and an admission fee of $20 for non-registrants at SICM.
- Finding a Way Through the Wilderness sessions will offer encouragement and instruction to help us help our Praise Band, write and arrange songs and hymns and understand congregational ‘non singers’.
- One-on-one coaching with Dan Damon; bring original songs and hymns.
- Each full-time registrant will receive a complimentary copy of Dan Damon’s newest hymn collection My Child Is a Flower (Hope Publishing).
2018 Daily Program
- Daily chapel worship and a chaplaincy to church musicians, their challenges and issues.
- Daily classes in organ and choral music, including techniques and practical tools.
- Nightly choral rehearsal open to full-time students and local choristers wishing to prepare and perform in the fnal concert.